- Sam Harris spends most of his time attacking Islam. He seems to hate the religion more than any other religion. He spends an unnecessary amount of time trying to prove that Islam is not the religion of peace and tries to make it out to be the religion of strife. Stoicism doesn’t really attack anything or hate anything. It just wants to focus on virtue which is the only good. Stoicism is compatible with Islam and its followers and hopes that everyone can work together to become more virtuous human beings.
- Sam Harris admits that he’s bored by philosophy and basically ignores it. Stoicism spends considerable time thinking about other philosophies and learning from other philosophies and adapting. The Stoic philosopher Seneca frequently quoted Epicureans and tried to learn from their philosophy as well as he understood their philosophy.
- Sam Harris stole his ethics from utilitarianism and doesn’t credit any of the utilitarian thinkers for his ethics. Stoicism always credits other thinkers and doesn’t steal their ideas and make them worse.
- Sam Harris, because he doesn’t care about philosophy, wrongly asserts that free will isn’t compatible with determinism and so he rejects free will. Stoics on the other hand agree with a significant number of philosophers who have convincingly argued well for the compatibility of free will and determinism. Stoicism has always believed that free will is compatible with determinism.
- Sam Harris is a cult of personality who has fervent followers who defend him no matter what he does wrong or thinks wrong. Stoicism is an open philosophy with many of its own followers critiquing it and its thinkers. Seneca, for example, is critiqued a lot as being a Stoic hypocrite and out of touch.